In a world which is becoming ever more global, and where people from different parts of the globe are in constant contact with each other, and where nowhere, however small, is entirely isolated from the great family of humanity in all its rich diversity, knowledge of languages and of how to communicate on an intercultural level is vital in order to be able to participate fully in society as a citizen, not just of one’s own country, but of the world.
In a university context, graduates of whatever subject will see their education and training enriched and their career prospects enhanced by a knowledge of different languages. Here, we are not speaking only about English, widely recognised as the international lingua franca, but also about other languages, many of which are as important as English in specific parts of the world or contexts – for example: Arabic; Chinese; French; German; Japanese; Portuguese; Russian or Spanish. Also the so-called lesser-used languages have their value because the ability to speak more than one language enhances a person’s cognitive abilities not least because it provides an alternative cognitive framework within which to view and analyse the world. As Federico Fellini said,
Una lingua diversa è una diversa visione della vita
A different language gives a different view of the world
The Centro Linguistico di Ateneo (CLA – the university language centre) exists to promote the learning of languages among the university community providing, among other things, CEL to different degree courses, and extra language lessons for university students and staff. Our courses and internal tests are designed around the international standards of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, and can thus be equated with similar courses across Italy and Europe.
In conjunction with accredited international exam boards, CLA offers access to recognised language certification such as, for English, Cambridge English Language Assessment and IELTS, or for German, Goethe Institut. As well proving clear, unambiguous and scientific indication of a student’s linguistic level, such certificates constitute (usually around the C1 level) the linguistic requisites for entry onto university courses or research programmes at universities around the world.
As the world and the challenges it presents is always changing, CLA also needs to seek new and innovative ways to renew and enhance the services that it provides. To this end, CLA is committed to exploring new possibilities and offering the university community and the wider area that it hosts new opportunities to enrich themselves linguistically. We therefore welcome suggestions and initiatives from members of the university and the wider Salentine community and from potential collaborators further afield on how to achieve our goals.
- CLA offers courses of various kinds (in classrooms / online) in the following languages:
Albanian, Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish;
- CLA organises, throughout the year, the following courses for UniSalento students and staff:
- Italian L2 for International Students and ERASMUS incoming students (60 hours)
- various languages for ERASMUS outgoing students (60 hours)
- various languages for Unisalento PhD students (30 hours)
- various languages for Unisalento staff (60 hours);
- CLA also offers paid courses (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Spanish). External users can also enroll on these;
- CLA coordinates 37 native-speaker ex-Lettori / Collaboratori Esperti Linguistici on the various degree courses and at UniSalento departments / schools:
Albanian (1), Arabic (1), English (15), French (10), German (2), Italian (1), Japanese (1), Portuguese (1), Russian (1) and Spanish (4).
Enrolment fee for internal/external 60-hour courses:
€ 202.00 for UniSalento students and staff
€ 502.00 for external users
€ 352.00 for public administration employees
The enrolment fee includes:
- the certificate of attendance and profit issued at the end of the course
- final test certificate (if the student has attended at least 80% of the course)
- include a € 2.00 stamp duty
It does not include:
- textbook (used during the course)
- exam fees for internationally recognised language certifications (see below).
Applications are now open for the enrolment in courses of Italian language for international students offered by the Language Centre of the University of Salento (CLA - Centro Linguistico di Ateneo).
Deadline for application submission: September 11, 2021
Information about courses and application procedure: https://cla.unisalento.it/corsi_facolta