Medical Assistance

If you are a national from either a EU Member State or an EEA country or you are of Swiss nationality, you should have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC, Italian acronym: TEAM) obtained in your home country from your national healthcare authority. The European Health Insurance Card (or EHIC) allows to receive medical treatment in another member state for free, or at a reduced cost.

A patient contribution is required for prescriptions, medical examinations, oral and dental care.

Non-EU Students: must take out an international Health Insurance which covers costs related to medical treatment and admission to hospital. This kind of insurance costs about 60 EUR for a period of 6 months and 120 EUR for a period of 12 months. Nevertheless, in order to avoid problems it is advisable to contact insurance agencies before leaving for Italy.

An insurance policy is compulsory if you apply for a residence permit.

EU incoming students with EU Health card or Health Certificate can go directly to a general practitioner of their choice. The list of available doctors can be consulted at the ASL Office (Health National Unit)-Viale Don Minzoni, 8 – Foreigner Office.

Non-EU students have to purchase a personal health-insurance policy with a consular declaration of validity for Italy. Alternatively they can buy a local health insurance policy to be covered for any medical care on the same basis as an Italian citizen.

Last Update Date: 12/21/2020